Tuesday 18 May 2010

Research Part 1: shooting at home.


This contact sheet shows images that I shot at home, on the 7th of May, as part of this narrative brief. I wanted to shoot images that would in some way show what my idea for this brief is; i.e. lack of money/being poor.

My set-up here was very simple. To get the white background I got a book that I had used for a previous brief, and simply opened it to a blank page and used this. These photos were shot in my bedroom, where the lighting is less than brilliant, even when it is nice outside. So, for lighting here I used a modelling lamp that belongs to my dad, which gives off a natural daylight effect. I have used that lamp before when taking photos, and I liked the effect it created (hence why I decided to use it here).

The first few photos on the contact sheet are of a money bank that I have owned for a while now (which, as you can see, is not a "piggy bank" as such). One of the things which comes to mind for me when I think of money, or in this case not having money, is the piggy bank, often smashed with a hammer as a somewhat desperate way of looking for a little bit of change. I did not want to break this money bank, so I just took a few quick photos of it. I quite like the second one, IMG_1521; I like how the head is in focus with the body of the money bank being out of focus. On the whole though, I do not think that these few images are anything too special. For some of them I attached a post-it note with "IOU" written on it, as the IOU is another thing that springs to mind for me when I think of money. I don't particularly like the way this post-it looks here. It looks awkward in the way it's attached to the money bank. I think this idea would probably work better if it was an IOU in a pile of pennies, but I did not think to do anything like this at the time.

The rest of the photographs on this contact sheet are of pennies that I took out of the money bank. With the first two photographs of this section I simply left the pennies as they were when I took them out of the money bank, i.e. not organised in any kind of way. I like these. To me these photos look as though someone has emptied their piggy bank out, trying to find whatever little bit of change possible. This is what I was trying to achieve here, so I am pleased with these. For the rest of the photos on this contact sheet I arranged the pennies into piles, and then photographed them; some of the photos were taken with my 50mm lens on the camera, and some were taken with my 70-300mm lens in macro mode. I am pleased with all of these photos, too. I like how the first few [the ones which were taken with the 50mm lens] have a shallow depth of field, and I like how I have captured the detail of the pennies in the later photos - the ones which were taken with the 70-300mm lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment