Wednesday 19 May 2010

Sophie Calle: The Hotel

The Hotel (L'Hotel) is a series of images produced in 1981 by French photographer and conceptual artist, Sophie Calle. Calle was hired to work as a chambermaid at a hotel in Venice, which allowed to her to explore/investigate the writings and objects of the guests.

The series of photographs on the left is from The Hotel. It shows eight separate images, and I am presuming that they were all taken in the same room (there was little information available about them, other than what the Hotel series was about).

On their own, and I feel that this would be true if each photo was presented separately, these are quite unremarkable images. The objects are ordinary, every-day ones, such as clothing left on a bed, newspapers, rubbish in a bin, etc. However, when all of these are placed in sequence, they start to create a story. I find myself wondering about the person [or persons] who left the items there; what were they doing, why are they staying in a hotel, how long for, etc. It is this which makes me think the photos work, and what makes me really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment