Tuesday 29 June 2010

Research: Gregory Crewdson.








The images included here are by American photographer Gregory Crewdson, and I have chosen to include these as research examples of narrative photography because I find them very interesting. Unlike previous work that I have included, by Sophie Calle for example, I do not think these follow on from one another, but I feel that they tell stories nonetheless.

Each photograph is very surreal, and I find myself wondering exactly what is meant to have happened in each one. For instance, in the third one from the top, why is the woman sat in multiple bunches of flowers? What caused the car to crash in the fourth one, and why is there a person stood in their underwear in the very last one? The one that I find the most interesting is the second to top one, with which shows a single beam of light hitting an empty street. I interpret this as being a UFO beaming someone up.


I think the lighting is excellent in these photos, which helps to add to the overall effect and surreal feeling created by the composition in each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment